Sunday, July 09, 2006

ORIGINS

Bongo Books was started as a small publishing adventure by Joan Considine and John Rawlins in 2003 with an interest in recording personal memories or stories of East African Colonial History from those still alive from the early days of the whole period 1920 - 1963 and willing to write them down whilst still compos mentis. We collected and edited these memories and then published them in some haste in April 2004. They seem to have been well received and generally enjoyed by ex-East Africans as well as a substantial number of people resident in the U K with probably some previous experience of visiting that region. We are conscious of a lack of participation by other racial groups living in East Africa in that period and would welcome their contributions to any more books that we can publish. We are contemplating another book now and if they wish to have more information they should read the rest of this web-site and they either email us at the address shown or write to us at:
Bongo Books, 27a Shady Lane, Slyne-with-Hest, Lancaster, LA2 6JD, England.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to have been born in Nairobi during the WW 2 conflict. I attended Parklands Primary,followed by a short stint at St Mary's before going on to the Prince of Wales school.I did my "bit" with the Kenya Regiment before transferring to 3 KAR for potential officer training. It was during this spell that I came into contact with the then Idi Effendi who by coincidence,was doing the same course. His element consisted of all the Effendis,Sergeant Majors and selected other Sergeants who were likely to become officers in the new armies of Kenya,Uganda and Tanganyika. Our element was 35 multiracial young adults,hoping to get selected to go to RMA Sandhurst to become Regular Army officers.
It was during this course that we were involved in Jungle training in the Elgon Forest. I, as a wide eyed 18 year old, was thrown into the mill with many experienced veterans,including one very large and imposing Idi. It was during the night withdrawal,which Idi was leading, that he got hopelessly lost. After going round and round in ever decreasing circles,he finally came up to me and whispered that he was in trouble and could I help? Luckily I could and we made it out to the plains below in time for the exercise finale. Idi was so grateful that he offered me almost anything as long as I kept it a secret!! As a result,I was the only cadet in 3 KAR to have a batman to take care of my kit cleaning!! It is amazing to look back and see how a very simple man could turn into such an ogre.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is Alan Westcob using my daughter's google account

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home